Policies, Resources and Additional Information


Visit  Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities Section 2.1.3 “Campus Associations and Activities” to view general policies for student organizations.

Particular policies of relevance to student organizations and event planning include: 

(2.1.3) “Student organizations may invite outside speakers of their choice, and are free to hold meetings and in other ways to express their views, subject only to prudent conditions regarding the protection of people and property and to reasonable regulations concerning time, place, and notice of meetings and other public exercises.”

(2.1.3) “Demonstrations and the distribution of leaflets, statements, or petitions are permitted on the campus unless, or until, they disrupt the regular and essential operations of the University or significantly infringe upon the rights of others.”

(2.1.3) “The University must ask student organizations which expect recognition by the University, identification through the use of the name of the University, and normal use of University facilities, to register the names of their officers and their basic objectives or purposes.”

(2.1.3) “Students do not have the authority to bind the University under any contract or obligation and may be held personally liable if they do so.”

(2.1.3) “Upon filing request with the appropriate University official, nonprofit and profit-making campus-based organizations will usually be granted permission to distribute literature, solicit donations, and seek customers on campus, subject to the general University regulations prohibiting obstruction of University activities or interference with individual rights.”

Demonstrations and Protests

Please visit Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities Section 1.2.3 “Peaceful Dissent, Protests, and Demonstrations” for specific information on possible locations as well as accompanying policies.


Please visit Rights, Rules, Responsibilities Section 1.2.4;  the following reiterates relevant policy:

Anonymous public postings without sponsorship of a registered University organization shall be removed or deleted if a complaint by a member of the University is lodged with the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School.”

Other policies about distribution of literature can be found in Rights, Rules, Responsibilities Section 3.2.2.

Additionally, ODUS offers guidelines around advertising your event. 



Does my event require security measures?

Each event has its own unique characteristics. These characteristics will inform the need for security in the form of student security services , Safeguards, and/or Public Safety special event security. Below is a list of common event characteristics and the recommended security measures to put in place. 

  • Takes place at an eating club? Yes to Safeguards; No to Public Safety special event security
  • Ends at 11pm or later? Yes to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Requires ticket, PUID or other crowd control measures? Yes to Safeguards; No to Public Safety special event security
  • Involves alcohol? Yes to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Involves non-Princeton students?  Yes to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Is a large-scale social event? Yes to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Features a potentially controversial speaker or topic and may draw protest or demonstration? No to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Features a dignitary, head of state, celebrity or government official (particularly if they are coming with their own security detail)? No to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security
  • Takes place at certain locations that require security (e.g. Fine Tower, Carl Icahn, Maclean House)? No to Safeguards; Yes to Public Safety special event security

This information and more is available on the ODUS website, as well as section 1.4.6 of Rights, Rules, Responsibilities.

How do I register my event with the Safeguard Agency and Public Safety?

The Safeguard Agency is a student agency at Princeton that provides security for University-sponsored events during the academic year. The agency also provides event set up and break-down services.

Public Safety Special Event Security must be requested at least 10 days in advance of your event using their Events Registration form.  The Pace Center will advise and decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not your event will require security measures so you should anticipate a process. Note that the determination of whether your event will need security measures is non-negotiable, as are the costs associated with hiring a security detail.


Do I need food licensing or insurance?

Large-scale events open to the general campus community or public and an event where food is prepared on-site by an outside caterer require food licensing and insurance.

An event for a designated set of participants, where food is for the group’s own exclusive use or any event where food is dropped off and served within an hour of delivery do not require food licensing or insurance.

The Office of Finance & Treasury outlines University insurance requirements.
How do I obtain proper licensing and insurance?

If your event falls under the ‘Yes’ category above, at least two weeks before your proposed event, you must contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and Megan Adams at Risk Management.

Be sure to review ODUS policies for food at student events. Specific procedural information, contact information, and other important exceptions are presented for your reference and review.

Does my event involve alcohol?

Review the alcohol policy for student events. Be aware that events involving alcohol are accompanied by several regulations and requirements, and will most likely require a security detail, which comes with a charge to your organization.

What on-campus dining or catering services are available to me?

  • Paper Tiger: A campus "no-frills" food drop-off/pick-up service
  • Princeton Catering: A campus, more-formalized catering service
  • Residential College & Center for Jewish Life (CJL) Dining Services:  If your event is being held at one of the six residential college dining halls, private dining rooms or the CJL, you will need to coordinate your food options with Dining Services.
  • Food Truck:  Available for catered events on campus with two distinct menus

Visit the Campus Dining website for information and how to request their services for your event. 



Does my event require event setup?

Facilities provides services that will be helpful to setting up your event, including building services, grounds, electricians, carpenters, and other services. Event support from Facilities includes such services as: 

For a complete list of services offered by Facilities, review their A-Z list of services. Once your event is approved by the Pace Center, you can submit a request for services directly with Facilities.



What do I need to know about making my event a fundraiser?

You must indicate that your event will be a fundraiser when registering through CLEVER in order to inform the Pace Center that this is the type of event you are organizing. You are encouraged to discuss any fundraising events with the Pace Center. Please email Rose Holton to make an appointment to discuss your fundraiser ideas. Once the Pace Center has approved your fundraising event, you should contact directly any services that you will require for your event.

There are some essential policies specific to fundraising to be aware of:

  • Cash/donations should not be kept in an individual’s possession. The Pace Center will provide a cash box for donations.
  • Donations may not be solicited from University departments, programs, organizations, or students’ University accounts.
  • The Pace Center does not require students to exchange cash for money orders made out to the benefiting nonprofit. (This policy is specific to ODUS.)
  • Students must either act under the auspices of a recognized Pace Center student organization, or be provided a temporary chartstring for the express purpose of the fundraiser. You can email Carey Hoover to help set up this account.

The Pace Center has guidelines for fundraising for your reference and review. You should also review the ODUS policies as well as  Rights, Rules, Responsibilities section 2.2.15. to learn more about University policy around student fundraising.



How do I make my event ticketed?

When fundraising tickets are sold in the form of an admission charge, New Jersey state regulations apply and are enforced by The State of New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (NJLGCCC) which you should review.

Contact University Ticketing, Campus Venue Services to discuss possible options for ticketing. Be aware that events requiring a ticket or PUID for admission are likely to require security measures.

How do I conduct a raffle, lottery, or game of chance at my event?

New Jersey state regulations apply to any student event conducting a game of chance. The NJLGCCC website has information about regulations pertaining to your event. Please be aware that this is a complex process, and your event request must be submitted to the Pace Center at least two months in advance in order to allow for sufficient time to complete paperwork for the NJLGCCC.

Note that ODUS and the Pace Center do not permit the use of government-issued currency in any gaming.



How do I know whether or not my event will need insurance or special permissions?

The Pace Center will help you to determine which services, paperwork, insurance and other measures you will need in order to put on your event. There are several instances in which you may need to contact different departments for permissions. Following the Pace Center's review of your event, you should review the following information to contact the relevant departments and people.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

EHS should be notified of theatrical stage productions, events that involve the preparation or service of food (other than a group preparing food for their own consumption), or events that involve working from heights, construction of temporary platforms, stages or structures, the obstruction or change of pedestrian or vehicular traffic, the use of chemicals, lasers or UV lights.

Insurance Required
The Office of Finance & Treasury must be contacted with any questions around insurance. Your event may require special event coverage pending review from the Office of Risk Management. Groups are often charged for this additional coverage. Contact Rose Holton if you would like to seek further advisement from the Pace Center.  



For large scale events or other events requiring parking for guests, please direct questions to Transportation & Parking Services.


What do I need to know about travel for student events?

Any student planning an event that involves travel for his/her organization must be familiar with the rules and regulations set forth in the Undergraduate Student Trip Leader Handbook, issued by the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life. This handbook contains vital information concerning health and safety, emergency contact information, trip registration, finances, and other University travel policy information. Students are representing not only their organization, but also Princeton at large when traveling via University-sponsored events. It is essential that the trip leader be familiar with policies and procedures, and take responsibility for the safety of him/herself and the other participants.



Please consult Rose Holton to confirm which forms you’ll need for your event.