The John H. Pace, Jr. '39 Center for Civic Engagement is collaborating with colleges and universities across the country to spotlight changemakers across the country who are driving justice and equity forward. The goal is to connect students, partners, and communities with one another to build greater understanding of the local, historical, and contemporary contexts of social justice issues.
"This collaboration comes from a place of deep community," said Geralyn Williams, program coordinator with the Pace Center. "Centers like ours all over the country have been working with students, community members and faculty to keep justice work alive during this pandemic. Due to travel restrictions for public health we are welcoming each other into our communities rather than physically traveling. We have pulled together to celebrate the communities we hold dear and highlight the important work partners are doing. We hope that this series creates new connections, deeper understandings of justice and equity, and sustained relationships for us all."
Students and community from Princeton University are welcome to register and attend all events.
Journeys Toward Justice Events
- Tuesday, March 23: Disrupting the Lost Cause Narrative (University of Richmond)
- Friday, March 26: Border Stories - Immigration and Humanitarian Work (Harvard University)
- Tuesday, March 30: Ending the Incarceration Cycle: Finding your Role in Local Communities (Yale University)
- Wednesday, March 31: Speak Their Names (University of North Carolina)
- Tuesday, April 6: Confronting the Past: Stanford University and Its Fraught History with the Ohlone and Chinese (Stanford University)
- Wednesday, April 7: Mapping Social Justice Movements in Durham (Duke University)
- Friday, April 9: The Real Montgomery Bus Boycott (Brown University)
- Tuesday, April 13: Public Art as a Form of Activism (Tulane University)
- Friday, April 16: History Revoiced: Opening the Classroom to Stories that Change Our World (University of California, Berkeley)
- Tuesday, April 20: Beyond the Dream (University of San Francisco)
- Tuesday, April 20: Change with The Trenton Circus Squad (Princeton University)
- Wednesday, April 21: Climate Change in Boston: Social Determinants, Equity, and Action (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Friday, April 23: Closing Reflection
Register for individual events or the entire series.
Scholarship and Social Justice Conference
The Journeys Toward Justice collaboration is also planning a Scholarship and Social Justice Conference on April 8 and 9. Meet exemplars of civic engagement and scholarship:
- Faculty panel with Dr. Enrique Murillo of California State University, San Bernadino; Dr. Cristina Santamaría Graff, Assistant Professor of Special Education, Urban Teacher Education, Department of Education, Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis; and Dr. Eric Galm, Professor of Music and Ethnomusicology, Trinity College
- Keynote: Dr. Roberto Gonzalez, Professor of Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education, author of Lives in Limbo
Register for the Scholarship and Social Justice Conference.