Apply HERE (Applications due February 15, 2019)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Address of Internship: 175 Remsen Street, 8th Floor
Number of Positions: 2
The Osborne Association offers opportunities for individuals who have been in conflict with the law to transform their lives through innovative, effective, and replicable programs that serve the community by reducing crime and its human and economic costs. CAS works with clients with open criminal cases to achieve alternative and lesser incarcerative sentence. It is our hope that an intern will bring new ideas to how CAS meets the needs of justice involved and underserved populations.
- Learn about the path of a court case from arrest to sentence.
- Review court reports in preparation of writing a report independently.
- Accompany advocates to court/learning and standing up in court to present interns written work and/or oral advocacy on behalf of clients.
- Interviewing client and conducting collateral interviews.
- Gathering relevant records.
- Meeting with Judges, DA's, attorney, community based programs during client's cases.
- Keep updated progress notes in a file and computer based.
- Sit in on interviews with other advocate to develop interview skills, active listening skills.
- Participate in trainings, programmings offered within CAS and in other programs as a way to learn as much about the agency mission as possible during the course of the internship.
Interns should be energetic, motivated to learn, and able to work in a fast past, time deadlined position that requires written and oral advocacy. Interns will receive training at each and every step of the internship to learn exactly what it takes to be a court advocate. It is our goal to give an authentic experience.