Apply HERE (Applications due February 15, 2019)
Location: Newark, NJ
Address of Internship: 31 Green St. Newark, NJ 17102
Number of Positions: 1
Launched in Spring 2011, Newark Community Solutions is a community justice initiative that applies a problem-solving approach to low-level cases in Newark, New Jersey’s municipal courthouse. Newark Community Solutions’s goals are twofold: to provide judges with increased sentencing options for non-violent offenses such as drug possession, prostitution, and shoplifting and to improve public perceptions of justice. By combining punishment with help, Newark Community Solutions seeks to promote the use of community service and social service mandates, reduce the court’s reliance on ineffective fines and expensive short-term jail sentences, and build public confidence in justice. Newark Community Solutions builds on lessons learned from successful community courts throughout the country, which have reduced local crime, improved compliance with sanctions, and strengthened the connections between courts and communities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review arrest reports and criminal histories to determine NCS eligibility;
- Entering NCS case data into the program database;
- Take attendance and collecting information from NCS participants in the courtroom;
- Maintain communication of information between NCS clinic, courtroom staff and Senior Resource Coordinator;
- Escort NCS participants between courtrooms and the NCS clinic;
- Maintain the NCS intake calendar;
- Perform other supportive tasks and functions as assigned by the Senior Resource Coordinator.
Looking for students who are eager to learn about alternative sentencing options and have:
- Professional demeanor and ability to communicate appropriately with judges and other court personnel;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and solve problems creatively;
- Word-processing and data entry proficiency required;
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.