Apply HERE (Applications due February 15, 2019)
Location: Newark, NJ
Address of Internship: 31 Green St. Newark, NJ 17102
Number of Positions: 1
Newark Community Solutions provides judges with increased sentencing options for non-violent offenses such as drug possession, prostitution, and shoplifting. By expanding the use of community service and social service mandates, Newark Community Solutions reduces the court’s reliance on ineffective fines and expensive short-term jail sentences, enhances procedural justice, and builds public confidence in justice.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review arrest reports and criminal histories to determine NCS eligibility;
- Entering NCS case data into the program database;
- Take attendance and collecting information from NCS participants in the courtroom;
- Maintain communication of information between NCS clinic, courtroom staff and Senior Resource Coordinator;
- Escort NCS participants between courtrooms and the NCS clinic;
- Maintain the NCS intake calendar;
- Perform other supportive tasks and functions as assigned by the Senior Resource Coordinator.
Looking for students who are eager to learn about alternative sentencing options and have:
- Professional demeanor and ability to communicate appropriately with judges and other court personnel;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and solve problems creatively;
- Word-processing and data entry proficiency required;
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.