Location: New York, NY
Address of Internship: 7 Hanover Square, 18th Fl New York, NY 10004
Number of Positions: 1
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal
needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
An intern will support our Immigrant Protection Unit in its delivery of high quality legal services to immigrants who have survived violence in the United States or in their home country to apply for affirmative immigration benefits that will bring stability and safety, and defensive immigration benefits that will spare clients from deportation.
The intern will work within NYLAG’s Immigrant Protection Unit ("IPU").
Alongside IPU attorneys and paralegals, the intern will:
- Participate in client meetings;
- Act as an interpreter during meetings and contact clients by phone;
- Assist with follow-up interviews with clients throughout the case preparation process;
- Assist with document translation;
- Assist with the drafting of client statements;
- Assist with basic application assistance and filings; and
- Assist staff with administrative tasks associated with cases or projects;
- Attend hearings with staff where appropriate; and
- Participate in legal clinics directly in communities that NYLAG serves.
Fluent Spanish speaker is preferred. Intern should be interested in working with clients of diverse backgrounds and life experiences and feel comfortable working on sensitive issues and with clients that are survivors of domestic violence or other vulnerable populations, such as undocumented youth. It's very important for an intern to be patient and open-minded, thoughtful and empathetic towards our clients and their needs.