Leadership Opportunities in CA
Founded by students in 1987, Community Action strives to place student leadership at its core. There are two avenues for current Princeton students to engage with leadership opportunities through Community Action: As a CA Fellow or as a member of the CA Leadership Team.
The CA Fellows program, established in 2017 is a competitive, year-long paid opportunity within the Pace Center for Civic Engagement.
Up to eight CA Fellows are selected annually for their commitment to service and the Princeton community, potential for continued leadership growth, and experience participating or coordinating past service or student organization programs. CA Fellows are responsible for community partnership development, communications, service-learning activities, and logistical planning associated with the CA region that they manage. CA Fellows also provide mentorship and guidance to the CA Leadership Team members within their region, assist with the recruitment of Leadership Team members, and facilitate trainings.
CA Fellows participate in professional development, retreats, and are advised one-on-one by a member of the Community Action professional staff.
Applications for the CA Fellowship open on September 30th with interviews taking place in February and final decisions made early in the spring semester. The position typically occurs from late February - December with summer serving as a 13-week, full-time internship experience. For eligible students, the CA Fellowship also allows them to participate in Service Focus.
Click here to apply to be a 2020 CA Fellow. Applications open on September 30th and close on December 9th at 11:59 PM
CA Leadership Team
During the week of CA, the first-year students are guided and mentored by their CA Leaders, who are well-trained and very enthusiastic current students. CA Leaders have the opportunity to positively shape the experience of incoming first-year students by facilitating community building activities, serving as liaisons with community partners and projects, and carrying out the daily schedule in order to ensure the safety and security of all participants. In addition, during the week and beyond, CA Leaders provide support, advice, and guidance to the participants to help them integrate into Princeton and the community. Each CA group will be comprised of 10-13 first-year students and 2 CA Leaders.
CA Regional Support Team
A strong support system is needed to ensure that everything goes smoothly during CA. The CA Regional Support team members focus on supporting the CA Fellows & Leaders within the regions and are on-site. Some tasks may include assisting with the delivery of supplies, providing backup support for leader groups, reporting back to CA staff for updates, etc. CA Regional Support must be or willing to become University Driver Certified, as driving is a requirement of the role.
Being a part of the CA Leadership Team offers the following:
- Early move-in to your housing assignment for the fall semester
- Meals during training and programming (includes the week of CA)
- Student leadership experience
- Welcoming the Princeton class of 2024!
- Member of Princeton’s Class of 2021, 2022, 2023
- Must be in good standing with the University
- Available for and attend all training, meetings, and program dates
- Submit a completed application
- Participate in one CA Group Process Day:
- February 19, 5 PM - 6:30 PM
- February 21, 5 PM - 6:30 PM
- February 25, 4 PM - 5:30 PM
- February 27, 4 PM - 5:30 PM
- March 31, 4 PM - 5:30 PM
- April 2, 5 PM - 6:30 PM
- Spring Leadership Team Meeting: Friday, April 24
- CA Leadership Team Move-In: Tuesday, August 18
- CA Leadership Team Training, Prep & Kick-off: Wednesday, August 19 - Sunday, August 23
- CA Week: Monday, August 24 - Thursday, August 27
- CA Debriefs (individually scheduled by your CA Fellow): Saturday, August 29 - Tuesday, September 1