The John C. Bogle ‘51 Fellows in Civic Service program (Bogle Fellowship) is a funded opportunity available exclusively to Princeton first-year students and was developed to support student participation in service or civic engagement pursuits during the summer before sophomore year. Bogle Fellows design their own summer internship or project in collaboration with a host partner. Internships must be a minimum of eight weeks and take place in the United States. Up to 20 first year students will be granted awards of $4,500 each. Bogle Fellows can develop internships around any area of interest, as long as the internship is service or civic engagement oriented.
Bogle Fellows participate in spring preparation workshops and advisory groups to prepare them for their service or civic engagement-related project or internship. During the summer before sophomore year, Bogle Fellows immerse themselves in their project or internship. Once back on campus the fall of sophomore year, Bogle Fellows reflect upon and connect their summer experiences with their academic work and/or career interests.
Applicants are encouraged to think creatively about how to build upon their academic interests to make a positive societal impact. Students interested in all disciplines are encouraged to apply. The 2016 Bogle Fellows engaged in a broad spectrum of internships; they:
- Interned with a start-up learning about the social impact of sustainable beekeeping as an alternative to copper mining.
- Contributed to a research group testing rammed earth construction and educated children about sustainable architecture.
- Worked for a healthcare technology start-up on opioid abuse prevention.
- Created new community collaborations for urban K-12 schools.
- Designed and tested an environmental and animal welfare preschool curriculum.
- Developed resource materials for people facing immigration and legal challenges.
- Raised awareness about domestic violence.
- Researched the impact of integrated urban schools for a foundation.
The 2017 Bogle Fellows program application opens Nov. 1, 2016 and closes at 5 PM on Feb. 12, 2017.
More information on the application process.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.